Monday, September 5, 2016

August Book Review

 The back cover reads, "The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it, no paper notices plastered on lampposts and billboards. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within these nocturnal black-and-white striped tents awaits an utterly unique, a feast for the senses, where one can get lost in a maze of clouds, meander through a lush garden made of ice, stare in wonderment as the tattooed contortionist folds herself into a small glass box, and become deliciously tipsy from the scents of caramel and cinnamon that waft through the air". 

The descriptions of the circus are magical and made me want to visit a circus even though nothing would compare to the "Le Cirque des Rêves". All though life at the circus is amazing behind the scenes there is a battle between two illusionist which is what the tragic tale is really about. I will not disclose anymore, in fear of ruining it for you.
 OMG I loved this book. The main character Lou reminded me so much of myself it freaked me out. Lou has just lost her job and needs to find a new one urgently. After many interviews and awful jobs placements, she gets and interview for a carer of someone in a wheel chair. That someone is Will who is not dealing very well with his new life in a wheel chair. Needless to say the love and friendship they end up having is truly beautiful, a must read if you haven't already.
 This book is straight after, "Me Before You". It deals with Lou's new life, she has a massive accident and has to move back in with her Mum and Dad. Where she has to heal her body and her mind. Unfortunately Lou hasn't really learnt anything from Will and is still just plodding along. This book is about her finding her way in the world, in true Lou style.
The final book in the, Fifth Wave series is set over a three day period. It is told from the viewpoints of Cassie, Ringer, Zombie and Sam. Evan comes up with a master plan to save the world. In the end he is not the hero, the hero is Cassie and not in the way you would expect. I was not into this book series as much as I thought I would be. For some reason Cassie just annoyed me.

If you have read any of these books what did you think? I have to admit that, "Me Before You" has been my favourite read this year.

2 comments:

Kezzie said...

Oooh, I DEFINITELY want to read that first one!!! It sounds so cool!! The others sound good too!

HazelxJoy said...

The Night Circus had so much hype around it when I read it, I found that it didn't live up to expectation. I did enjoy it but after a while I have to admit that the descriptions jarred a little and I just wanted the author to crack on with the story!
I'm intrigued by the Jojo Moyes books - a couple for my want-to-read list :)